email me. feel awesome.

01 February 2010

Milk Tastes Gross

I hate it when guys feel they have this sense of entitlement to just hit on whichever girls they please. Some girls like it, I'm sure--the very insecure ones who have no decency, perhaps. Or are thirteen. However, I also know that it is extremely annoying to be innocently walking into a place and have some asshole who thinks he's the hottest thing since bhut jolokia peppers come up to you and "spread the love" when you'd really rather just be doing whatever it is you're there for without the bother of a narcissistic horndog chasing you around. There are probably men who are doing it in a decent if pathetic way to engage a relationship, but I doubt that in most cases.
And as much as being hit on alone bothers me, the way so many of them do it kills me too. They do it like every word they say has the deepest meaning to the listener and like we've never laid eyes on a more sexy human male. They smile smugly and act as if they already have you wrapped around their finger before they even hear a response. I suppose that's the confident attitude needed to go up to a strange girl and indirectly ask for sex, but there is a vast difference between confidence and cockiness. Plus, does it ever occur to them that perhaps I'm already involved in a relationship? Perhaps I have all those kinds of needs satisfied? Perhaps I'm single and I like it that way (plus I'm not looking for love with that kind of guy anyway)? Perhaps I'm career-driven? Perhaps my husband just hasn't come into the store yet? Perhaps I'm a lesbian? Perhaps anything, really? What difference does it make? There is no reason for men to just hit on people randomly like that. I am going to safely assume that most mature women are unimpressed by dickheads. Is it supposed to be like practice or something?
Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but I like humility. When a guy is confident enough to approach you, intelligent enough to compose a sentence and mature enough to respect you, that is when you'll notice him as a normal human being who is not trying to repress pitching a tent. Plus it's cute when they mess up and get embarassed.
I guess my point is that I would like to be able to go out into the world as a human, not a helpless female in need of some man power, and just buy my Gatorade in peace.
Plus, when was the last time a pick up line actually worked on a sober woman? Probably never. Save it for the wasted honeys.

6 comments:

full_of_puppy_love said...

two points to make here 1) pick up lines dont work on drunk girls either. 2) you think this is bad, oh-perfect-female-specimen? wait until youre my age and you are looking less like jail bait. then you get guys in their forties or fifties saying things like, "i have a condo and no one to share it with... i suppose youre married arent you" or "where do you live?" or "want to hook up?" (the unspoken part of that last one is that i was standing on the corner in front of the bingo hall in the middle of the afternoon doing a crossword puzzle)

full_of_puppy_love said...

or, "hello, i have a car"

Callie said...

why are you being bitter? why can't i just rant without having you jump on me with your almighty wisdom because i'm so obviously lost without it? like geez chloƩ stop undermining my opinions

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you on this one... it does get quite annoying & i find guys who aren't as confident a bit more sexy.

Anonymous said...

wow this is awesome young woman..u blow me away with your gift of words..

full_of_puppy_love said...

callie i wasnt trying to undermine your opinions. nor can i see anything that is even similar to advice in what i just said. i was just trying to share an altogether more amusing side of the same coin. sorry.