email me. feel awesome.

24 February 2010

Why Yes, You Are a Dick

I could just punch people.
I'm not surprised, seeing as it is Collingwood, that homosexuality is largely misunderstood and prejudiced against, but I am ever-astounded at the atrocious attitude our town's members openly exude toward people of this orientation. How can a person say, in all seriousness, that "faggots should die", intentionally within hearing range of a gay man, no less, without regret? Or feeling? What kind of home must one be raised in to have such ignorance and hate toward a person with no reason other than what turns him on? What kind of environment moulds a being into such a beast?
I hate walking down the hall with my gay friend and seeing people stare at us like we're freaks of nature--him for his sexuality, me for befriending him. What difference does it make whether he likes Daniels or Danielles? It's nobody's business but his, just as it isn't his business if they want to bang drunk chicks every Saturday night. I hate that everyone makes it theirs. It's absolutely sickening. Thankfully, my friend is intelligent and capable enough to blow their stupidity off and ignore them completely, but it just irks me. I don't know why people feel entitled to such behaviour. It's disgusting and frustrating and it just bothers me so much that anyone could ever have the cruelty of spirit to intend to hurt someone over something so very irrelevant. I could just explode. I get stared at enough as it is for my weird clothing/tree-hugging/nerd girl-ness.
I feel like the next ChloƩ of CCI.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you! I am really astounded about the immaturity that people display... they are people just like you & me... I am glad to see that i am not the only one that feels this way.

Erin said...

Ugh that is awful. I'm glad your friend has the maturity and confidence to see past it. Good for him.

S.I.F. said...

So well said, and I totally agree! I will never understand hateful people!

full_of_puppy_love said...

wow callie i just had the coolest idea for a short story. like what if there was a place, like a high school, where all of the people in the high school never change. like, for example, when the tree hugger and her homo best friend graduate, they are immediately replaced by grade nines that match the same description. same for teachers and custodians. just a constant endless sea of the familiar where nothing changes but no one is even aware of it

teddyclinton said...

I LOVE YOU. this is fantastic. :)