email me. feel awesome.

05 June 2010

Thou Shall Not Want

On Facebook nowadays there are recommended pages on the right that change every time you refresh or visit a new page, such as links to your friends if you're looking a pictures of them or a fan page of something related to anything you have become a fan of in the past. Today I was looking at some of my old pictures and getting rid of the ones I needed to and I happened to glance over at my recommended pages, which, by the way, I never do because I could care less, plus I have an agenda when I'm on Facebook. Anyway, I suppose at some point I decided to "like" the page DORY, as in Dory from the most excellent Pixar animated film Finding Nemo, and on my recommended page thing it said something I sincerely was not expecting. You would suspect a related page to DORY might be the Finding Nemo fan page or maybe another cartoon, like Shrek or Wall-E or something. Nope, not on Facebook. The most closely related page to DORY they can come up with is--wait for it--Slush Puppies. Yes. Because those are the same thing. An interesting correlation, I thought. Oh, I love that goofy animated fish...hey, a Slush Puppy! Ha, ha, ha. So silly. As a note, Slush Puppies really are delicious.

In other news, as some will know, musical mania is officially over. :( I hate emoticons, in all truthfulness, but I felt that was almost entirely necessary. I'm sad! It feels kind of childish to say it like that, but it is the best way to put it. People say I should be glad to have my life back, but the musical was my life. Now I don't have one. It's strange having so much free time and not seeing my musical family for at least three hours a day. It's not easy to be yourself when you've put your entire self into something and then it's gone, but I'll get there. At least now I can get back to my soul mate (Katelyn, of course, for those who don't know) and we can go on dates and eat cheese and read together again! I'm also hugely looking forward to tanning. My legs are starting to scare me at night because they glow with whiteness.

And on a sort of but mostly not really related note, I have a horrific habit I must stop: music bingeing. I find a song I like and listen and listen and listen and listen until when I listen to it I just want to turn it off and can't listen to it again for a few months. It's awful! I'm ruining good songs for myself and it's really hard to stop. It's like a serial dater--out of one fling and into another because you feel lost if you're not in one (to clarify, I am not a serial dater). I'm a serial listener. I garner such pleasure from one tune that I pour every listening hour I have into it until I have to banish it from every play list, from which I run to the next awesome song because I don't want to have to think about what I want to listen to. Examples include that Electric Feel remix I showed on this here blog, Five Years Time by Noah and the Whale (it's been a while since that, though--I listen to that again), Love Game by Lady Gaga (I know it's awful, but so addictive!) and I think I'm doing it right now with Bad Day by Darwin Deez. Gah! It's just...I don't know. If I don't have a list of music in front of me to tell me what must come next I'll just get into a loop. A vicious, destructive, song-killing loop of torture. There are a few songs I have made myself listen to within reason despite how deeply, even passionately, I want to over-listen, Parachutes by Pearl Jam among them, so I know that I can do it. It's not the ability, it's the decision. As is the case in more serious problems, I'm sure. At any rate, I'm trying not to over-listen to the music I dig right now, so wish me luck. I shall not listen to Darwin Deez again today. I forbid myself!

Oh, but do listen to this. Catchy. I dig it. Shall not music binge. Shall not music binge.

"I am Not a Robot"-Marina and the Diamonds

1 comment:

Katleny said...

She has such a crazy good voice! I am so downloading this song when I get an itunes card. Thanks for the suggestion!