email me. feel awesome.

09 March 2010

Artistic Bodies

Don't you just love the people in the change room who, after taking a shower/hot tub/swim, dry their crotch endlessly? I don't really know what the protocol is for guys, what with the dimensions and all, but for women all you need is a quick sweep or two and it's done. If the towel is down there for longer than fifteen seconds, chances are the natural juices are getting dried up too, and that is never very comfortable, or normal. If you're unaware, change room-crotch-drying-ladies, it's supposed to be moist. Perhaps you should educate yourself.


Also, I have no problem with other people being naked. After all, that's what happens in a change room, but please, if you're naked, don't stroll around the change room, go to the washroom, blow dry your hair or come and talk to me while I'm also naked and act like we're both wearing clothes. Naked is a transition and the change room is not the sauna.

Then there's the guy in the gym who manages to do everything except work out. There is always someone for him to talk to, wander toward and then pass by or a very long break at the water fountain he can take. If all of these options seem to be used, he'll concede to using his mat for a few ab exercises and then stop again once he finds a reason to not work out again. He doesn't just talk to everybody, he forces them to have to say something back other than a simple nod and smile. You have to slowly rotate so that you're more in the open than he is so you can sidle off to the other side of the gym. It's a temporary fix, though, until he's really finished talking to you.

Oh and those awful people who don't know how to share the cardio machines. HELLO. If all the machines are full, you are on there politely for no more than twenty minutes, thirty maximum. We can't wander around the gym forever while we wait for you to run three marathons over there.

Anyway, I won't go on. It's only the gym.

In other news, I have been doing stylized pencil drawings of women a lot lately, as women are my most favourite subject for art as is so often the case. The style I've come up with has led them all to have really, really huge, nice boobs. I mean, I've always drawn chicks with huge, nice boobs--they're the kind I grew up around--but these ones are especially huge and nice. Well, they aren't that huge, like Pamela Anderson huge, but they're still huge. The niceness has increased. Maybe I'll ink one of them and show you what I mean. At any rate, hot chicks are what I like to draw, and I haven't been drawing much else for about the last month.

Know what I really struggle with drawing? The hind legs of four-legged animals. I have real troubles with them. Dogs and horses look awesome until I get to the hind legs, then I think hm...and I use a whole eraser on a picture I don't finish. I don't know what it is, but I can never get them right! It's only when they're straight, like, standing. I like drawing seated hind legs, particularly cartoon cats and big cats. My inspiration for that is in the Lion King when Mufasa is lecturing Simba on going to the Elephant Graveyard and there is a really great shot of his hind leg. I have been drawing seated big cats a lot more since, as well as toads and frogs.

But yes. Does anyone out there have ideas? Of course I need to practice more, but I don't know what else to say. Animals have never been a strong point for me.

4 comments:

full_of_puppy_love said...

two things:
first of all i find it a little odd that an artist, especially one who is strongest at drawing people in general and women in particular would be so uncomfortable with nudity.
second, i find it hilarious that we are, as ever, polar opposites. i am TERRIBLE at drawing people, always have been and i dont know why but i love drawing animals. i think the biology degree has had an influence on my abilities in that area... we do a lot of drawing in biology. anyway, i find the best way to get a standing hind leg right is to do it in like, four lines. the haunch, the foreleg, the back of the leg and the upper part of the back leg. unless its something like an elephant that doesnt have the defintion the way a dog or horse does, then i do it in three lines. the trick is to do it in as few strokes as possible, then it looks natural. phew.
as for suggestions, i also like doing plants, particularly flowers.

Callie said...

chloƩ did you not read that i don't care about the nakedness? as if i have a "problem" with nudity. you have always seemed to think i have but i don't. i'm not going to apologise for not liking it when naked women i don't know come up to me and talk to me while staring at my nakedness like that's just the norm. do you stare blatantly at other naked people? no. and you would have a problem if strangers stared at you like an object. stop trying to make me out to be this culturally deprived, stereotypical suburban art girl. i vent about one issue i have and you apply it to my entire character. that is where inductive reasoning is faulty.

full_of_puppy_love said...

woah. sorry. i misinterpreted what you were saying. i didnt realise there was staring going on. thats completely different. i just got the impression from this post that it was the nakedness that bothered you. perhaps i read it too quickly. and i didnt say anythign about you being suburban, culturally deprived or stereotypical.

Brittany said...

:) ha ha. I agree on the gym rules. I just dont like when women walk around naked. period. Maybe thats my insecurities, but still... I don't like looking at other womens vag's.

As for the drawings.. I would just google some pencil drawings. Check out how they do hind legs, and just copy-copy-copy. Practice makes perfect! :)

P.s. Thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to getting to know you through your blog :)!