email me. feel awesome.

17 January 2009

The Water

Yesterday I didn't end up going for a stroll, because promptly after I made plans to leave, five or six people started talking to me on msn that I wanted to talk to so I stayed in and had some talking time.
I did, however, go for a stroll today, and I just got back in, in fact. I went with Clara and it was soooo freezing, I was worried I'd get frostbite again, which got me thinking about the cab driver with the frostbite stories.
Not a lot happens in my days.
Anyway, it was really very cold and wonderful, and I took Clara down to the water, which was definitely cool. I forgot to bring my camera, so I'll be going back tomorrow to get some sick pictures. I hope it's as cloudy tomorrow as it is today.
It was so cool down there. Literally, too. It was incredibly windy. All the snow was laid on the beach all unevenly, and some grass was poking out, and the oldish park sign was swaying in the wind, so it felt like I was inspecting some old abandoned town or something that had been wiped out by the Plague. Or something. It was desolate. And ultimately cool. I would have stayed and looked around longer had I not been afraid to get more frostbite.
I climbed over the snowbanks and onto the beach to get a closer look at the natural snow banks that had formed at the edge of the water, which were very icy and intricately carved. The water was so still, and the sky was so harshly gray it was absurd. There absolutely no fluctuation in the colour at all. It was just very strange and cool. I wanted to paint it. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and paint with mittens on in the snow. Wouldn't that be wild.
Anyway, I was standing on the beach with Clara, surrounded at first with the uneven but relatively shallow snow, then by high peaks of snow banks, with a few lone trees standing pathetically in the distance, and I felt not only like I had come upon a wiped-out town, but that it was once my town, and I was missing it. Like I would cry or something. The water was so still, the waves frozen in place, it was like it had been brought into existence as a photograph. I was standing on what I initially thought was rocks, but turned out to be huge massive chunks of ice.
Ah. So it was so beautiful. Eventually I trudged through the thigh-deep snow and headed home, contemplating some words to use in my blog. I came across some rich-next-to-water-living kids, who gave me laughably stereotypical snobby-kid looks, and that was it, I suppose.
So, pictures for tomorrow. Must remember.

"The Water"
By Feist

The telegraph cables hum
And few can decipher who the message is from
And it deliver it quietly
Cause some don't get much company

The harbour becomes the sea
And lighting the house keeps it collision free
Understand the lay of the land
And don't let it hurt you
Or it will be the first to

The water, the water
Didn't realize
It's dangerous size
The mountain, the mountain
Came to recognize
It's a steep and rocky sides
More than realized

Pale as a pile of bones
You hope for your babies
And this is how they grow
Wind-battered, knocked over
The teeth by the shoulder
Watching the grey sky
That's acting like a good guy

The water, the water
Came to realize
It's a dangerous size
The mountain the mountain
Came to recognize
It's steep and rocky sides
Came to recognize
It's steep and rocky sides
More than realized


1 comment:

Virginia said...

No frostebite YAY!