email me. feel awesome.

08 October 2009

And that's the way it is



I have been trying to come up with a good follow-up to my getting back to business blog, but I could not think of one for the longest time (meaning a few days). Then today on the way home from dance, I felt the blog come! It was wonderful!
I was listening to Other Side by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and in one line he says "a cemetery where I marry the sea", and I recalled a conversation I once had with Rachel about that very line. She was going on about how stupid the lyrics of that song were, and she mentioned that line in particular. She wondered what the words meant, so I offered the interpretation that it might mean he was at the grave of his significant other, and since he could no longer be with to her, he would "marry the sea", or dedicate himself to fishing or something. Rachel still found it stupid, by the way, but that is beside the point.
What this recollection did was lead my thoughts to the idea of marrying the sea, and I thought about how many people have married the sea over the years. So many fisherman and captains of boats and things. I started thinking that the sea has a lot of spouses indeed.
I then proceeded to think of the sea as a polygamist. My original thoughts were that those who married the sea were considered its wife regardless of whether they were male, because the usual way of polygamy is a husband having many wives. But then I figured that most of those married to the sea were men, plus the sea is, in my mind, a beautiful woman (perhaps a seductress!?), so I changed my image to it being one wife with many husbands.
This is the part when I determine my blog topic!
I thought, since it is a gender reversal, does this not make the sea a reverse polygamist? I was so excited to come up with this statement, I wrote it on a napkin so I wouldn't forget. It put a big, fat, satisfied smile on my face. The sea is a reverse polygamist! For surely the reverse of one husband with many wives is many husbands with one wife, correct? However, in my research I discovered that polygamy, by definition, is not a husband with many wives, but simply one with many spouses. So, by definition, I suppose this means the sea is not a reverse polygamist, as there is no gender specification, but as polygamy is viewed by society and presumably by polygamists themselves (a man with many wives), the sea would qualify as a reversal of the practice. How strange polygamy is.
Also, I put the picture of me on here because my hair is straight! I got it cut recently but it is extremely short, so short in fact, that if I were to wear it curly I would look absolutely ridiculous and poodle-esque. That is not the look I'm going for, so I will be wearing it straight from now on, until further notice, which will happen when substantial regrowth has occurred. Plus, my hair was looking totally awesome that day, and I wanted to remember the good hair day. Good haird days make me feel like a champ.
I end today with a very plump period, like you put your pen down and the ink blotted because you got distracted by your cat trying to eat your cookies while you were on the phone.

1 comment:

full_of_puppy_love said...

arent they teaching you anything at that school of yours???
as you mentioned, polygamy simply means having more than one mate or spouse.
polygyny (gyn like in gynecologist) means a male who has more than one female mate
polyandry (andr like in androgynous) means a female who has more than one male mate.
so thar you go. linguistics.
ps the library computers are being REALLLY SLOW TODAY!!!!GRRRR