email me. feel awesome.

25 September 2009

Don't take that bike seat

So very sorry indeed for my lack of blogging. Today I had quite an adventure, so I think it is a worthy candidate to restart my blogging journeys.

I went to work today, which in itself is rather mundane, but as a note, I rode my bike. My brother once rode my bike to school and got it stolen and he recently just bought me a new replacement bike, so I'm trying really hard to keep it not stolen. Anyway, I rode it to work, and to prevent theft, I locked it to a tree where it was hidden and also surrounded by thorns, which proved to be effective, as it was not stolen (yes!). I removed my quick-remove bike seat to further prevent theft, and I took it with me into work.

Alexandria worked at the same time as me, and we were going to finish at the same time, so her father, Mr Alex, planned on giving me a ride. Work itself was very good, as always. After work, we bought sundaes for Katelyn (who we were hanging out with later), Alexandria and myself, so we went behind the counter to make them ourselves. Alexandria was paying, so I went to go make the sundaes and in doing so I left my bike seat on the front counter. After we had that all set, we left.

We unlocked my bike and put it in Mr Alex's trunk and headed out, and after Alexandria had grabbed her stuff from her house and we got to my house to drop off my bike, we discovered I had no bike seat. It was very curious indeed. My first assumption was that I had left it in the bushes. I felt very bad for Mr Alex, but he gracefully offered to drive us back to the bushes to search for said seat. On the way, we grabbed Katelyn, who was looking ever-fabulous in striped boxers, a huge Spongebob t-shirt, her mom's blazer and pink fuzzy slippers.

Well, we drove all the way back to the bushes, only to discover there was no seat to discover. We even double-searched with no luck. I suddenly came to the realization that I had left my seat on the counter when I made the sundaes and failed to retrieve it. There was hope! I was 100% sure that's where I left it. We then commenced to sprint to work with me in the lead, Alexandria close behind and Katelyn pulling up the rear, yelling about her coldness and how we're running too fast and she has slippers on. I could not stop laughing at how very ridiculous it was.

We finally got into to the store, and lo and behold, there is Josh, holding my bike seat (with new found greasy [grease from fries, etc] fingerprints on it), as well as a huge lineup of customers at the counter and practically every staff member at the window. Why in the world everyone was at the window, I have no idea, because there is usually only three people up there, but that night, at that time, of course everyone decided to stand collectively in a clump in varying degrees of uselessness. So everybody saw us come into the store and it was hilarious.

Anyway, that is my big adventure. I will make sure to keep my bike seat on hand next time. After that adventure went down, we continued to Katelyn's house to talk about work for about an hour and a half and then go to bed. This would be much less depressing/pathetic if our Friday night hadn't been planned to be much more exciting. You see, our plan was to have a poker party with Burma, Emily, Alexandria Katelyn and I, but Emily made new plans and therefore canceled on us, Burma canceled on us because she had to "watch her dog" and I forgot my wallet, so I couldn't contribute to the pizza fund, and the other two had very little money, so they could only buy a medium pizza with on topping and they only ate one slice of it each. Then this morning I had to get up and leave right away because I had to work again.

So I guess I fight mediocrity with my excessive loser tendencies.

3 comments:

full_of_puppy_love said...

hey callie i thought you might be interested in this. ill probably call you tonite to tell you about it but JUST in case i forget.... there is a photo contest called the metro global photo challenge. "imagine your photography being seen by millions of metro readers worldwide. there are some things only the worlds largest newspaper can do, and giving you a global photo competition is one of them. for a chance to see your work in print and win one of three trips for two to a metro city of your choice; simply submit your inspiring shots by october 18 2009 for more details www.metrophotochallenge.ca"

full_of_puppy_love said...

oh and another thing. (i posted that before reading this post, so now i am responding to the post, rather than giving you information about a contest)
although many people think that "hiding" a bike is another way to prevent theft, it is actually MORE likely to get stolen when it is "hidden" because if you have it locked up out in the open, there is a greater chance that there will be witnesses to the theft, and a thief will try to avoid having witnesses. ALSO (i dont know how valuable your bike is) it is best to have two DIFFERENT kinds of locks, one u-shaped lock and one cable lock and use one to lock the bike to something and the other to lock the wheels to each other. "professional" bicycle thieves are stupid and tend to only carry the tools to break one kind of lock, not both, so by using both simultaneously, you increase the security of your bike.

full_of_puppy_love said...

oh have you tried a big mac with no meat yet? (i really should read your posts start to finish before i comment)